Katrina Kaif made audiences stand up and take notice ever since she made her debut in the 2003 film, Boom. Her journey in Bollywood has been commendable in the industry as she evolved from not being able to speak Hindi to delivering heartfelt dialogues in films. The actress has been part of many big projects in her career, starring opposite leading men and even performing dance numbers. While a lot of people closely follow the actress there are still aspects of Katrina’s career and life that not many know about.
On the occasion of her birthday, let’s take a look at some of the lesser-known facts about Katrina Kaif:
1. Reportedly, Boom was not supposed to be Katrina Kaif's first film. She was supposed to make her debut with Mahesh Bhatt’s Saaya. However, the actress could not speak Hindi at all and could not star in the film.
2. It was Boom’s producer who changed Katrina’s screen name to Kaif from Turquotte. The producer thought it would be easier to remember for the audience and hence, make the actress memorable.
3. Katrina Kaif is one of the fittest people in the industry. She is the first star to have a Barbie doll modeled after her.
4. Katrina Kaif is an avid chess player and takes interest in painting. She is reportedly Aamir Khan’s favourite opponent to play chess with.
5. Katrina Kaif has been coined with the nickname Kat for the longest time in the industry. However, the Namastey London actress is not very fond of the nickname. She reportedly said in an interview, “Honestly, I don’t like it when people call me Kat, I don’t know who coined this name.”
6. The famous silver dress that Katrina Kaif wore in Welcome was not a part of the film’s wardrobe. Rather, the dress was a gift from Italian fashion designer Emilio Pucci. The dress is worth $4,814 or 2 lakh rupees.
7. Contrary to popular belief, Katrina did not grow up in London. She just lived in London for 3 years before moving to India. The actress was born in Hong Kong and lived in Hawaii till she was 14. Growing up, the actress traveled to China, France, Switzerland, Poland, Japan, Belgium, among other countries.
8. Katrina was home-schooled by her mother Suzanne with the help of correspondence courses.
9. Katrina has admitted to being afraid of the dark and heights.
10. Katrina started modeling when she was just 14-years-old. During such a modeling project in Lakme Fashion Week, she was noticed by director Kaizad Gustad and cast opposite Amitabh Bachchan in the 2003 film Boom.